<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 25, 2003

Long time, not blog on this old screen. Are you two intereseted in keeping the research project alive? I have emailed Linda Charlton at the GDC, and she is going to make survey #1 active again. I think we are all doing some new and different things with weblogs this semester, and I would like to have a record of it.

I'm using a class blog in Introduction to Writing Studies. I haven't explained very well what a blog is or why they might use it, but I just checked it a minute ago and three people have logged in and contributed since Friday's class. One of the entries is simply a link to useful resource that one of my students found while doing some work for class. I hope his lead might get the ball rolling on that blog.

I'm also using a blog in Composition Theory. I've filtered a site or two, and the students are contributing their weekly writings to the blog. Might end up being mor e of a notebook blog than a filter blog, which is fine. Great material from the first week, and I noticed that people really self-consciously respond to the posts that come before their own.

I'm hosting the blogs on the NDSU server, rather than the Blogger server. Don't know if that makes any difference--I hope it makes the blogs feel more "connected" to the class. I also hope to learn how to control the templates better--my goal is to use the same template for the blog as I do for the class website.

A different wrinkle: Jim Ross showed me how to use the RSS feed from my TeachingBlog ; I now keep my blog, but feed the headlines to my course websites. I like the concept alot--I just need to make more time to blog.

Can you two post, for our records, how you are using blogs this semester? Do we have a good set of "instructions" on how and why to blog posted online? We should definitely just be sharing one page, and not re-creating our instructions each semester.


Comments: Post a Comment
(0) comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?