<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 23, 2002

Go Team Go. L - E - T - S - G- O !!!.. Let's Go!! Okay.. that was my cheer for the day. I could probably find some bloomers and a cheerleading outfit too, but that might put me over the edge and completely insane.

Wow. You two have a lot of.. um... baggage when it comes to teaching. And I have a lot when it comes to adminstration or parents.. two things I rarely deal with NOW (which is maybe why I am so optimistic.. I keep thinking "Remember when so-and-so tried to tell me how to teach English! Ha! That loser!". I feel like I am too naive (and lately: un-smart) to be giving any sort of advice.. so I will use my vibes (and telepathy) to encourage and support.

I liked your metaphor about.. orgasmic experiences... when I think back to my 110/120 classes (well, back then: 110/111) and Cindy's Creative Writing class I took.. the orgasmic experiences.. the epiphanies occurred on my own. Not usually in class. Sometimes one thing that a teacher says/does/brings up will really REALLY hit home for a student. Some students will not be on the same wavelength as a student.. Example: Me and Krishnan. The man, I know, is brillant, but I don't think I took anything from his class. Others did. And I even showed up and listened, for crying outloud.

Anyhow, I am doing a good old Peer Review day tomorrow. They have the option of showing up and going into their blog teams in class OR meeting on their own time outside of class. May be shooting myself in the foot with that, but I wanted to give them flexibility. Especially since at 8am, their brains sometimes aren't ready. I gave them Thursday off to do more work on their papers and then an almost-final draft is due in class next Tuesday. I'll be in my office from 7-11am that day in case they want to meet with me, etc. I am really trying to make them depend more on peer feedback rather than my own. After looking at 5, they all look the same. My feedback starts to sound rehearsed. I detest that. I am thinking that with the other 2 papers, requiring them to meet with me and their teams OTHERWISE I will not take their papers. Amy did this last year, and while it seems threatening, she said she got better papers.

Their rough drafts (due to me via e-mail today) look rather good actually. Some have ideas that I didn't have in my paper on blogging.. hard to imagine I KNOW. But they look.. seem.. promising. Cross fingers, cross toes.

Comments: Post a Comment
(0) comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?