<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 30, 2002

Ok. SHOULD have blogged RIGHT after classes yesterday, but... well, Kevin can atest (sp?) to the fact that I was BEAT. Take me out back and shoot me- should have been my motto. The students were great, don't get me wrong... I would say 50-70% of both classes were in awe of the wonders of blogging. One already had one so he felt like an expert, as he should have. A few expressed 'poor' attitudes with the idea of it all.. but I think, the optimisitic side of me (which is usually wavering around 80%) thinks, that they will, too, soon be amazed. Then again, HELL, we need 'unpositive' feedback too, right? Not all students are alike. Not all people learn alike. Isn't that rule #1 of some teaching bible? Anyhoo- the reason I was pooped was I answered about a million questions in an hour running around on flip-flops. Should add the idea of wearing sneakers to this class description perhaps. PLUS after teaching WHAM-BAM at 8 and 9:30, I had MY own class (the joys of being a grad. student) at 11am where we did a hardcore lecture on phonetics and their symbols. By 12:30pm, I was ready for a nap.

I really really really have high hopes, however, in retrospect. After they get to read more on blogs and see what other students are doing (on Tuesday and further on in the course), I think everything will open up. Ideas, communication, attitudes.

For myself: I do realize that I have turned into an exhibitionist on my personal site... girls/women are socialized to not be TOO out there even when they do say things off the top of their melons. Plus, I think you are onto something Cindy when you mentioned that you and I are more likely/can more easily say 'whatever' because our jobs will rarely be in jeopardy.

I really stressed with my students that they can be as personal as they want, etc... I also stressed that from 4pm to 10pm on campus it is REALLY tough to get onto the internet with a good/fast connection speed. Too many people are on then. I thought warning them of that would help a tad.

Kevin, I wish you had a better room... AND I will take OFF the 'Dr.' on my site in reference to you. :-) AND, YES, ndsu should have more online courses.

Off to a wedding tonight, then tomorrow I will be putting all the weblogs into a list on my bisonblog page... should we share blogs between classes?

Comments: Post a Comment
(0) comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?